Towbury Hill Fort
A little known Iron Age Hillfort at the NW edge of Gloucestershire of 20+acres, roughly rectangular in shape probably originally built to protect a westerly branch (to Ledbury in Herefordshire) of an ancient road between Gloucester and Worcester where the branch crossed the River Severn just north of its confluence with the River Avon.
To the west north and east the camp is protected by a natural scarp and on its southern side by a small bank with a deep ditch - the SW of the camp has been eaten into by post-medieval quarrying for sandstone - the famed historian Leland claimed the camp was one of the palaces of King Offa - during Saxon times the Inner Camp was cultivated as evidenced today by strong ridges and furrows - it is also reputed to be one of the more northerly of a line of camps (Clifton to Bredon) occupied by the Romans to keep the Silures at bay.
(a) Samuel Rudders History of Gloucestershire 1749 p780
(b) GF Playne in a paper to the Cotteswolde Naturalists Field Club in 1877 Vol VI p226
(c) G Witts Archaeological Handbook of the County of Gloucester 1883 - Camp 101
(d) Transactions of Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society 1903 Vol 26 p88 & 1992 Vol 110 p227
(e) EJ Burrow Ancient Entrenchments and Camps of Gloucestershire 1924 p132
(f) pastscape website; Gloucestershire: Tewkesbury: Twyning: 115727
A very tidy site bordered on the north by the M50 and on the south by a golf course well worth an afternoon stroll.